As you may be aware, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection’s (MassDEP’s) Rideshare Regulation (310 CMR 7.16) requires facilities that meet certain criteria to complete and submit an annual Rideshare Report summarizing their rideshare program.
The criteria that must be met to be applicable to these requirements includes:
- Businesses with 250 or more applicable commuters that are subject to the MassDEP Air Operating Permit Program (310 CMR 7.00, Appendix C) or
- Businesses with 1,000 or more applicable commuters
- Educational institutions with 1,000 or more applicable students or applicable commuters combined
The definition of “applicable commuters” is employees that work 17 hours or more per week for 20 or more weeks per year; that commute to work between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.; and use their vehicle for work purposes during work hours less than 5 times per month. “Applicable students” are students that are full-time commuting students and live off campus; are scheduled to begin and complete classes between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.; and need their vehicle for class assignments or for after-school work less than five times per month.
For further details, please visit:
If you meet the rideshare requirements, your annual report is due December 31, 2015.
What must you do if your business/educational facility meets the requirements?
- Collect data by surveying your employees/students current commuting patterns*
- Identify available commuting options
- Set goals and develop a plan for reducing drive-alone commute trips by 25 percent
- Offer options and incentives to reduce drive-alone commute trips
- Review how commuting patterns will change as a result
*For the majority of businesses and educational institutions this year is a short form year so a survey is not required; however, many companies choose to conduct a survey each year.
Many facilities find collecting rideshare data from employees a challenge. CAPACCIO has been helping clients make the process easier and more efficient. Using web-based forms we developed, CAPACCIO can host your custom commuter survey online and collect data in a database for easy analysis. The findings can be shared with employees online and also be tailored to report commuter trends for your environmental management system (EMS) objectives and targets and help facilitate the completion of your rideshare report. The tool may also be tailored to your facility’s internal programs where employee transportation has been identified as a significant environmental aspect in your EMS goals and targets. Please see CAPACCIO’s rideshare service sheet for more details or visit our website for our entire suite of services.
For more information on CAPACCIO’s rideshare services, please contact Dan Forsythe at (508) 970-0033 ext. 135 or email@example.com.